Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What is a Keller?



A couple of weeks ago, we had pushed Eli to her limit. It was well past her bedtime, and she was tired , hungry and cranky. I laid her down on her changing table and expected the worst, not from the diaper, but the hope of any cooperation on her part. She looked up at me and let loose the biggest cheesiest grin I have ever seen. Nose curled, teeth showing, complete with grunts and little squinted eyes. This is a Keller.
Have you ever been pooped on, peed on, and thrown up on all in a single day? At our house we call this the Trifecta. This is not an unusual occurrence in Emily's day. But the way she pushes everything else to the side, and makes Eli know and feel that she is the most important thing in the world is beautiful. This is a Keller.
Before anyone asks if Joe joined the military to help pay for school - no, no he didn't. However that would have been a better excuse for his new found male pattern baldness. The new look was compliments of Greatclips. The $9.99 special is no special. At least when it was all over he thought, well at least I won't have to comb my hair in the morning! This is a Keller.

The Keller mantra is "Keller's do hard things".

We hope to experience life, not merely live through it, and we are finding that it takes a lot of work to enjoy life - it is worth every effort. As a family we aspire to follow the counsel of the late LDS Prophet Gordon B Hinckley, "It is my plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good. That we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."

4 comments:

M. Fisk said...

Your family not only seeks out the sunshine: you guys seem to make a little of it wherever you go! What a great quotation from President Hinckley! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen said...

I love your post, It makes a lot more sense now that it's all there :)
Cute cheeziness little Keller.

Amy said...

I enjoyed that post! I like your blog too. And I've had the pooped on, peed on, spit up on days, and I can mostly forget about the smell and mess and appreciate the fact that I have a child to do that too me!

Lindsay said...

Hey - how come I didn't know you had a blog?! :) Cute post! I love how your family always seems to be smiling and finding the good in every situation...it makes you so much fun to be around. I'm glad I know what a Keller is. :)